In our community you may see the “working girls” on our steps, or on the corner & up the street but, the problem is in every community. The current statistics* are:
- Human Trafficking is the second largest criminal industry in the world with an estimated 32 billion dollars made annually. (1)
- It is estimated that anywhere between100,000-300,000 children are exploited for commercial sex every year in the United States (1,2,3)
- The average age a person enters into prostitution in the United States ranges between 12 and 14 years old. (1,2,3)
- Out of the victims of human trafficking 70% are women and 50% are children (1, 3)
- Wisconsin has documented cases of human trafficking in all 72 counties and in half of those counties there have been over 200 cases of human trafficking reported.
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center had 96 calls from WI during 1/1/2013—6/30/2013
- The Super Bowl is one of the largest human trafficking events yearly.
- Wisconsin tied for second place with Detroit in the 2013 Operation Cross Country recovery effort with 10 minors rescued. San Francisco was first with 12 minors rescued.
*References & Resources